Friday, May 8, 2015

A Prescription for Skies

A disease I've contracted from living in Mumbai blue sky-itis. It's main symptom is intense cravings for skies. For any shade of blue. Royal. Cobalt. Powder.


There are some days where I get my fix riding along in my commute home or occasionally from a walk along Arabian Sea. Most of the time though, I suffer without.

When I’m outside Mumbai I really notice the indigo. The azure. The midnight. 

Outside the city the blues are completely accessible. No partial view. No apartment high rises blocking them. Outside the city the blues are in their purest forms. No city lights interfering in their depth. 

When I escape the sky desert of Mumbai, I find ways to get a fix.

Lounging on the Koh Lanta's beaches and watching sky blues bleed into the sea.



Tilting my head back so far my neck starts to hurt in the salt flats of Gujarat.




 Filling up my memory card with photo after photo of the simple sky blues of Kashmir.





Admiring the brilliant sapphire skies that make the visible even in your photos in Istanbul.


I've become that girl, the annoying one, who notices the skies and interrupts conversations to share my noticing. I crave for the people I'm with to pause and marvel in their beauty. Most people oblige, nod in agreement and quickly the conversation continues. Some pause and support my silent appreciation. One even suggest a hashtag for my Instagram posts.

I linger longer in the blues and reap their curing powers.



1 comment:

  1. Completely get this! Thanks for reminding me to relish the small joys!

    ReplyDelete