Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Do You Know Starbuck's Code? A Reverse Culture Shock Tale

I'm learning new code in the U.S., Starbucks code. When I say that I don't mean Starbuck's beverage language like a tall Chocolate Dalmatian, I mean the Starbucks' patron code. 

Today while waiting for an appointment, I hunkered down to work at a nearby Starbucks. It was here that I was reminded of the patron code. Restroom code. Restroom code is where you are approached by a patron sitting near you who politely asks the small favor, "Can you watch my things while I use the restroom?" 

I'd been sitting at my table today, sipping my grande caramel macchiato with almond milk for about an hour when a nearby female patron asked me for this favor. I obliged but was taken back when she asked. I don't think it's rude or asking too much; it's just that I haven't lived within this culture for a while. I moved back to the U.S. in August after living overseas for ten years. As my new Starbucks' friend used the facilities, I pondered why this question, this favor, took me by surprise. 

In Prague, where I lived for the past four years, we didn't have this same code. If you needed to use the restroom, you packed everything up and took your things with you. Granted, I didn't visit Starbucks in Prague frequently for a few reasons. These included the fantastic cafe culture in my neighborhood, pickpocketing, and Starbucks' prices compared to local cafe prices (local cafes usually had better coffee too), it's just you'd never ask a stranger this favor there. 

It was about this time when my Starbucks' BFF returned. She smiled and said, "Thanks so much. Happy to repay the favor for you."

And about 10 minutes later, I took her up on it. It felt a bit strange, but it was so delightful to be able to leave my things at my table and not worry about them because I knew she would be watching them for me. 

Reverse culture shock is a funny thing because I never know when it'll strike. Today it happened at Starbucks. 



8 comments:

  1. I am grateful for this practice as it not only saves time but also your location! I do think it is something that happens only in Starbucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it does save your spot too and that's key when you're working in a cafe.

      Delete
  2. I love this story. We’re so accustomed to being wary of strangers that we forget most people are trustworthy. I’ve had similar experiences in coffee shops, but I struggle to trust the stranger’s offer of reciprocity.

    BTW: I wonder if you crossed paths w/ one of my former students while in Prague. His name is Brock Keller. He was in Prague during the 2018-2019 school year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Glenda, I was fortunate I suppose with my new Starbucks friend, she was trustworthy.

      I don't know Brock, but what a small world, as we were both in Prague at the same time. While living there, I taught third grade at the International School of Prague so not sure if he would have been in high school at that time or not.

      Delete
  3. I never knew about this because I usually am in and out at Starbucks, but its good to know. I am happy to learn that most people are trustworthy, and that most Americans would feel that way, too. Well, at least at Starbucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. This code does demonstrate some greater good and trust in the world. In particular at Starbucks.

      Delete
  4. It is fascinating and interesting to compare different cultures. I don't live in the US and don't think that code applies in Australia (and definitely not in India) but it sounds good. Great to get insight into what happens in Prague too. Starbucks is usually way overpriced overseas and its coffee is definitely not particularly good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celia, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about Starbucks. I do recall when I lived in Mumbai and Starbucks first moved in a few years ago. Poor Cafe Coffee Day was ground to a halt. I realize my observations are from my singular white American female perspective while living in other countries. Being back in the U.S. I continue to learn as well. Grateful for the opportunities I have to revise my thinking, learn from others' perspectives and grow through this process.

      Delete