Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Time for a Sellotape Haircut

As you can see, my cowlick has other ideas about being perfectly straight.
When I was little, my mom would trim my bangs. When they were getting too long, and into my eyes, she would wrap a towel around my neck and sit me on the kitchen counter. Then she would pull out a roll of sellotape in the U.S. known as Scotch tape. After ripping off a long piece, she placed it across my bangs to ensure sure she had a straight line to cut them. To make sure they were perfect. It always felt a little special when she did this.

Yesterday I noticed my bangs were getting quite long again. I trimmed and trimmed, trying to emulate the hairstylist I see. Trimming just a bit at a time with her hands flurrying across my forehead. Well, I didn't flurry, but I did cut a bit at a time. Trying not to
look too blunt but more blended as she does.
I thought my results were not great but acceptable.

This morning, however, I woke up, and when I looked
in the bathroom mirror, I noticed they were
Tada!
still too long. I started using the same strategy I'd used yesterday and began to feel annoyed. Annoyed because I wasn't getting the result I wanted. Rationally I understand I'm not trained in how to properly cut bangs but it seems like it should be a fairly straightforward task to accomplish. Then I recalled my mom's technique. So I went to the kitchen and grabbed the sellotape. I placed it across my forehead. I trimmed and trimmed. Better.

I'll still fuss with my cutting over the next few days because it's not quite right, but it already looks so much better than it did yesterday. Thankful, this particular memory popped up as I looked in the mirror this morning, practical and special at the same time.

8 comments:

  1. I remember those haircut days by my Mom, Meg. Bangs were so in style but now I don't have the patience. It took me too many months to grow them out. Good to meet you on SOL20.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Carol, nice to meet you too. Bangs are a big commitment so I don’t blame you for not wanting them again. I’ve always had some version of them so for me it’s strange without them. All the best!

      Delete
  2. My mom did not cut my hair but I still remember her wanting to curl it for special occasions, often burning my ears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! That’s a painful memory. I forgot that my mom sometimes helped with that too. I also remember when I thought I could do a better job than my mom did and I burned my forehead. Painful way to learn sometimes Mom does know best.

      Delete
  3. My stylist, who has been styling my hair since 1989, reminds me I’d never perform surgery on myself. I’d look like a five-year old if I were to attempt to cut my hair. You are brave for cutting your own hair. Be careful not to cut too much. You can’t put it back w/ tape. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda, I worry about the same thing which is why I think it take me such a long time to trim my bangs. I did a little more trimming this morning but satisfied with the results. Sometimes it’s best if we leave it up to the experts especially when they’ve been cutting your hair for over 30 years!

      Delete
  4. So cute! When I had short bangs like yours I did my own too! There were a few times they got a bit too short, but given a couple weeks always turned out okay. I love the style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like them too. I think having these short bangs makes me realize just how quickly they do grow out. Glad I’m not the only one giving the i between trims.

      Delete