Thursday, March 5, 2020

Quality is Important: An Allergy Shot Tale

Once a week, I get allergy shots or immunotherapy. I receive one injection in each of my upper arms. In my left arm, I receive a tiny amount of trees and grasses. In my right arm, I receive an even smaller amount of dust, dust mites, and mold.

Two weeks ago, I reacted to my dust, dust mites, and mold shot. The skin on my arm grew hot and pink. And itchy. I had a large spot, approximately the size of a cider donut, for almost five days. Since starting treatment, I haven't reacted, so this response was new to me. Luckily the reaction didn't grow in size, nor did I have other symptoms.

Since then, I've returned to my allergist's office twice. The nurse who was administering injections today is my favorite. She's friendly and kind. She always admires the tattoos on my arms. Her touch is gentle and kind.

We've had longer discussions about my symptoms and health since I reacted two weeks ago. Today I gave my favorite nurse a little feedback on her rapport and ability to inject me with a foreign body in a manner that doesn't feel invasive.

She smiled and said, "Hey, that could be a thing. Giving nurses injection reviews."

I replied, "I'd give you five stars."

Her smile widened. She started the timer for 20 minutes, the required period patient must wait at the doctor's office to ensure you don't have an anaphylactic reaction, and said, "Thanks."

Then I walked back to the waiting room and heard her call the next patient who also would receive a quality injection and a little bit of tlc too.

8 comments:

  1. Oh how I remember those allergy shots and the reactions to them. 3 shots a week and my arms would turn red, swell up and burn like crazy after wards. So worth it however, as I barely ever have a problem with my allergies again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ouch! I definitely can't complain then Colleen after hearing your reactions. I got them as a child and then stopped when I turned 18. Flash forward 25 years and I started them again. Hoping I can rebuild that same immunity and like you enjoy an almost allergy-free life.

      Delete
  2. I kind of like the idea of nurses injection reviews.... I know quite a few that I'd give 5 stars! ;-) ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I listed to NPR's "This American Life" podcast yesterday called "Everyone's a Critic" and people there were talking about Amazon reviews to church reviews to someone trying not to review anything. The point of the podcast was that we as a society rate everything which made me think why not nurse injections too?

      Delete
  3. It does make so much difference how a nurse gives you an injection! I hope you sort out your allergies soon, it sounds like quite a chore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it Celia? I like my allergist and think she's helped me to get a good handle on things. Over time the frequency will decrease which I'm very much looking forward to!

      Delete
  4. I’m sure you made the nurse’s day. Thanks for being a kind human. Looking forward to reading more about your tattoos! 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glenda! And also thanks for the idea for future posts.

      Delete