Saturday, March 7, 2020

I Have a Snooty Sniffer

I'm not one of those people who has an extraordinary sniffer. I think it's average. I'm not one of those people who travels back in time to moments from my past that waft into my mind flaming memories of my childhood. My sense of smell seems to be more simple while at the same time, it's picky.

I don't wear perfume. I prefer unscented soaps. But when it comes to candles and essential oils, I feel my nose dons a particular snootiness. Odors are either adored or hated in moments of presenting themselves. My nose's particular palette likes things woody. Cidery. Piney. 

In the fall, as I was preparing for hygge, I went searching for deliciously scented candles to provide winter evening coziness. It was then that I stumbled across the perfect candle, Walden Woods. After hearing the candle creators' story, which included being made locally and sharing a passion for writing, I was sold even more.

Each evening this winter, their scent swirls around the living room, bringing my heart and nose small, simple smiles. Today, even though spring seems to be sneaking more and more into each day, I purchased a couple more because I think my hygge and my nose need them. 

8 comments:

  1. I love scents, but only those that have a connection to nature. I’m not a fan of what I call “kitchen scents,” those that replicate cooking. Walton Woods sounds comforting, the perfect scent for hygge, which was my OLW a couple years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes those "kitchen scents" are just awful Glenda. They are too artificial for me and instead of reminding me of those cooking or food smells, repulse my sense of smell instead.

      Delete
  2. I love scents, too but they can not be too overpowering or I feel nauseous and/or get a headache!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee, I'm similar. I struggle sometimes when in public places and someone is wearing too much perfume or when visiting department stores where I try to avoid the perfume department entirely. You just have to find what's right for you.

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I’ve never heard of those candles. They seem like they’d lovely. (I need to put it on a mental to-but list for when I get older. I have a three-year-old so I don’t light candles at home anymore.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey - I don't blame you one bit and I hide them when my nephews visit for fear of temptation. For now enjoying the cozy, quiet moment spending a few minutes writing with one burning nearby. Makes the rainy day feel cozy rather than depressing.

      Delete
  4. Sigh, I am a super fussy sniffer! I am not a fan of most candle or perfumes. Most make me sneeze! Plus, I have 5, preschool age grandchildren! Nevertheless, I LOVE the idea of a candle and the feel of warmth it gives off as well as the mood it commands! This company sounds like one I could try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am similar to you! I'm so quite sensitive so I was surprised to actually find one I like. Enjoying the coziness this afternoon while I work on my SOL post and replies today.

      Delete