Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Target Tales #2: A TP Photo Op Reminded Me About Kindness

My mom and I were picking up a few things on Saturday at Target. We'd hoped to find milk, my favorite Buffalo Wing Pretzel Crisps, coffee creamer, and a few other items for dinner. We'd had success with our list and decided, as many of us do when we're out shopping, to see if there were any toilet paper or paper towels.

We were at the end of the aisle where I saw an older man sitting in a motorized shopping cart, using his phone to take the photo, that many of us have, of an empty toilet paper aisle.

He saw me looking down the aisle as well and started reached his hand up to the electronic console and move out of my way.

I abruptly interrupted his move, "No, you don't need to move. I'm capturing the same photo you are, sir."

He looked up and smiled. "Oh, really?"

I nodded. It was at that moment that I decided to pause. I wondered did he need toilet paper. I wondered if this was his trip to gather the supplies, so many Americans are trying to find. I wondered if we might be the only human interaction he'd have and if so, we needed to make it count. We needed to stop and listen to him so I smiled.

"I live in _____ (a suburb about 45 minutes away). I used to live in _____ (about 20 minutes away). I lived there until my wife died."

"I'm sorry," I quickly muttered.

"It's okay. That was two years ago. Now I live with my son. He lives in ______ (aforementioned city). Today I was out in _____ (the same town he used to live in) helping my friend with a technology problem. I thought I'd stop on the way home and see if there was any toilet paper here. We can't find it for us. Guess we're not the only ones."

"No, you're not," I smiled.

He went onto tell us about the other stores he'd visited that afternoon. He had found some toilet paper at Aldi. He found paper towels at Dollar Tree.

"And I found all of this here," as he gestured toward his basket filled with some milk and a few other perishable items. "I found everything I needed."

"I'm glad you did," I replied.

His eyes twinkled as he said, "Me too."

"Take care. Wishing you and your family well, sir."

"Thank you. You, too," he responded.

Each time I've gone out since then, which I'm trying to avoid altogether, but when I do, I've tried to pause and show a little more kindness. I've been making more eye contact. I've been saying thank you to people stocking our shelves or those working at the drive-thru. It's these small moments that, during hard times, make a big difference, genuinely making sure we all find everything we need.

* I did not capture a photo that day but I think I captured something much more important.

12 comments:

  1. Spreading kindness and positivity whenever I'm out is something that I have been trying to do, too. Especially to those who have had to bear the brunt of this (i.e. grocery store employees).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all the little things each of us is doing daily is going a long way in helping to support everyone. Thanks for spreading the love too.

      Delete
  2. There was a time we went to different stores to get various bargains. Now we search for necessities. It’s so sad, but the silver lining is these conversations, these connections. I love the dialogue in your post and that hopeful note at the end.

    Good to see you back. I hope you’re here tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit of a silver lining. Some days and moments are more challenging than others to find them, but they are there as we navigate the newness.

      Thanks for stopping back for support! I appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. That's the kind of virus we need to spread- kindness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A kindness virus. Interesting idea for a poem or naming those small things each of us is doing to spread some love.

      Delete
  4. This warms my heart. These acts of kindness are what might just get us through all of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you're right. I believe, as you do, that our connection and community is what is going to help greatly. Even the writing one we have here.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful interaction and moment captured. I loved the dialogue and it's true... a little more kindness is a good thing for this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It definitely is good to help grow what we need more of for sure.

      Delete
  6. So good that you could make a connection and he appreciated it. It is the little touches of kindness that make all the difference at times like these and they don't take a lot of effort. That's what we all need to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm trying to remind myself of each day, with my family and with friends but also those strangers who we encounter throughout this unusual time.

      Delete